Finally, the National Food Safety Management Committee (NFSMSC) is established and inaugurated with the Secretariat domiciled in the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC).
National Food Safety Policy developed by the Federal Ministry of Health recommended the formation of national committee on food safety. The policy was recently reviewed after intervention of USA government on the need to have just one committee on food safety.
The reviewed policy was approved by the National Council on Health, 2014 and has an Inter-Ministerial committee that will support the activities of the new National Food Safety Management Committee politically and financially.
Five (5) Technical committees were created and charged with responsibilities as follows:
- Technical Committee on Regulatory Framework: Modernizing the Nigeria Food Safety Regulatory frame work in line with International Best Practices.
- Technical Committee on Risk Analysis: Minimizing the incidence of risk associated with Physical, Chemical and Biological hazards in foods and water.
- Technical Committee on Capacity Building: Strengthening institutional capacity for food safety.
- Technical Committee on Information, Education and Communication: Establishing an effective information and communication mechanism for the food safety system.
- Technical Committee on Monitoring and Evaluation: Monitoring and Evaluating the National Food Safety System.
Only time will tell if the National Food Safety Management Committee (NFSMSC) will live up to its expectations owing to the fact that in many instances, NAFDAC have failed to win the war on Fake and Counterfeit drugs, foods and other health consumptions. Nigerians are yet to witness the doggedness of NAFDAC when the Late Dr Dora Akunyili was in charge of the agency.
If only NAFDAC can work in tandem with the newly inaugurated NFSMSC and provide hope and trust to the Nigeria population, in combating fake and substandard products.
Want to write to us?
Contact the editor: email@example.com