I have received a good number of question asking -Is Indomie Good for Weight Loss, after our last article on What happens to Your body after eating Indomie Instant Noodle.
So today we will be answering the question, but first lets take a look at the content of Indomie. Please note that this review applies to all the Instant noodles in circulation in Nigeria.
1. Sodium Benzoate / Benzoic Acid : are used to prevent the growth of microorganisms in acidic foods. They are natural substances.
However, in beverages with ascorbic acid (vitamin C), a chemical reaction occurs and creates small amount of benzene, a carcinogen.
2. Monosodium glutamate (MSG) : This is a Salt form of (glutamate) an amino acid and it’s often used as a food additive because it adds a deep savory flavor to dishes.
Nutrient Poor and flavorless Foods are made more appetizing by adding MSG. It also hides under multiple name variations, which makes it difficult to identify for consumers who want to avoid it.
MSG comes in various forms :
- hydrolyzed vegetable protein
- Autolyzed Yeast
- Hydrolyzed corn protein
- Yeast Extract
- Hydrolyzed corn
- Textured Protein
- Hydrolyzed vegetable protein
- Plant Protein Extract
- Hydrolyzed whey protein
In 1908 in Japanese scientist from Tokyo Imperial University tried to figure out the unique flavor profile of kombu seaweed and stumbled upon MSG. Since then it has became a very popular additive in some Asian kitchens.
3. Carbohydrate : Indomie comes in different pack size, but lets take the “Hungry Man” pack of 210g as an example.
If you are following a ketogenic diet (keto), you need to restrict your daily carbohydrate intake so that your body enters ketosis.
For most people, this means less than 50g net carbohydrates per day.
By subtracting fiber from total carbohydrates, you will get Net carbohydrates.
A product with 210grams of total carbohydrates and 9 grams of fiber will have 201 grams net carbohydrates. Math equation: 210 – 9 = 201
IMPORTANT: Net carbohydrates are per serving. Make sure you know your serving size or else you may go over your planned intake.
4. Tertiary ButylHydroquinone (TBHQ) : is an antioxidant used to keep oils from going rancid. It is a petroleum derivative.
For years the USFDA refused to approve it as a food additive but food industry pushed the FDA to get it approved as a preservative despite the fact that ingestion of large doses (a thirtieth of an ounce) can cause nausea, delirium, and ringing of the ears.
5. Highly Processed! Indomie is a highly processed product and this is required to increase its shelf life and improve the flavor that disappears when food is not fresh.
From the above few points, there is no evidence to suggest that Instant Noodles can be used as meal during weight loss regime.
The high carbohydrate content makes it less ideal for such purpose. Consuming instant noodle as a daily meal can have health implication, therefore going organic or whole food is ideal.
Enjoy reading the article..? Be part of the discussion in The Medium HealthCabal Interactive Forum.
Send your suggestions or original articles to : firstname.lastname@example.org