Asthma is one of the major non communicable diseases and most common among children. Some 235 million people currently suffer from asthma, we will be highlighting: Asthma- Causes, symptoms and Cure.
It is a chronic disease of the air passages of the lungs which inflames and narrows them and characterized by recurrent attacks of breathlessness and wheezing, which vary in severity and frequency from person to person.
During an asthma attack, the lining of the bronchial tubes swell, causing the airways to narrow and reducing the flow of air into and out of the lungs.
Most asthma-related deaths occur in low- and lower-middle income countries.
Asthma deaths will increase in the next 10 years if urgent action is not taken.
Asthma cannot be cured, but proper diagnosis, treatment and patient education can result in good asthma control and management.
- Airborne allergens, such as pollen, animal dander, mold, cockroaches and dust mites
- Respiratory infections, such as the common cold
- Physical activity (exercise-induced asthma)
- Cold air
- Air pollutants and irritants, such as smoke
- Certain medications, including, aspirin, ibuprofen
- Strong emotions and stress
- Gastro esophageal reflux disease (GERD), a condition in which stomach acids back up into the throat.
- Family history of asthma.
- History of another allergic condition.
- Being overweight
- Smoking/ exposure to secondhand smoke.
- Shortness of breath
- Chest tightness or pain
- Trouble sleeping caused by shortness of breath, coughing or wheezing
- A whistling or wheezing sound when exhaling (wheezing is a common sign of asthma in children)
- Coughing or wheezing attacks that are worsened by a respiratory virus, such as a cold or the flu
Prevention of asthma attack
- Identify and avoid asthma triggers.
- Personal and environmental hygiene
- Avoid extreme cold.
- Get regular exercise to maintain a healthy weight.
- Adhere strictly to medication
- Have regular medical check up
Get timely answers to your health, fitness and nutrition facts. You can as well Write to us: email@example.com